MIAMI LAKES K-8 CENTER
PTSA’s 2017-2018 WELCOME LETTER
We would like to welcome back our returning students and families to MLK8, and extend a very heartfelt welcome to all our new MLK8 families. We would also like to extend a very special welcome to our new principal, Ms. Canales, her team of fabulous administrators, and our amazing teachers. We are looking forward to making 2017-2018 a fun and productive year.
We would like to introduce your NEW PTSA Executive Board and welcome you to reach to any of them with your questions, concerns or recommendations.
- Dianne Jaugegui, President
- Yisel Martinez – VP Ways & Means
- Yamila Santana – VP Organization
- Yesenia Fernandez – VP Education
- Marisol Rodriguez Basulto – Treasurer
- Jaclyn Cabrera – Recording Secretary
- Rene I. Basulto, Corresponding Secretary
- Mercy Roman – Corporate Liaison
- Lissette Padrón – Volunteer Coordinator
We look forward to working with all of you this school year. We are anticipating a great year because of the dedicated and amazing volunteers we have on the PTSA.
If you are not on the PTSA board, have never volunteered before, or just have questions about PTSA and volunteer opportunities, please feel free to contact us through our website, our Volunteer Coordinator, or any of our other PTSA board members. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
We would also like you to participate in PTSA activities, like the Grandparent’s Breakfast, No Uniform Days, Chocolate sales, etc… Everyone has something to contribute and we welcome everyone’s talents, skills and abilities.
There are numerous volunteer opportunities throughout the year. We cannot do it all by ourselves. We need you help. Please consider volunteering. Visit our Volunteer Page for more information.
“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill
The next couple of months will be hectic for all of us. With the return to homework, after-school activities, and sports, the calendars will be full. We encourage all of you to take the time to check our Web site periodically for useful school and PTSA information.
We have a lot of things planned for this school year. Some things to keep an eye out for would be the Grandparents Breakfast, Dad’s take your child to school, Kick off of our World Greatest Chocolate Sale, No Uniform Days, and our Inaugural Father/Daughter Dance, among many other activities and programs.
As always, if you have questions, concerns or ideas you would like to share, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com
Miami Lakes K-8 Center PTSA Board
Making Every Child’s Potential a Reality!
- To Be A Powerful Voice For ALL CHILDREN,
- To Be A Relevant Resource For Families & Communities, &
- To Be A Strong Advocate For The Education & Well-Being Of Every Child
- To Promote The Welfare Of Children & Youth In The Home, School, Community, & Place of Worship
- To Raise The Standard Of Home-Life
- To Secure Laws For The Care & Protection Of Children & Youth
- To Bring Into Closer Relation The Home & The School, That Parents & Teachers May Cooperate Intelligently In The Education Of Children & Youth
- To Develop, Between Educators & The General Public, Such United Efforts As Will Secure For All Children & Youth The Highest Advantages In Physical, Mental, Social & Spiritual Education
- PTSA Uniform Store
The PTSA has an annual uniform store sale in August. The uniform store is organized and stocked by the PTSA Executive Board. The uniform store has over 25 parent volunteers that handle all the sales of uniform shirts. Over 1,300 parents visit the school to purchase uniforms from grades pre-kindergarten through eighth grades. The uniform store generates over $20,000 in revenue over a one-week time period.
- Grandparents Become PTSA Members
Every September, we have our Annual Grandparents Breakfast in our school cafeteria. This day we celebrate all of our students grandparents. They join us for a hot breakfast and they also become PTSA members. Over 350 grandparents attended.
In collaboration with the school and the PTSA, dances are held in our school cafeteria. Fifth and eighth grades dances, along with a first ever Father/Daughter Dance are being planned.
- School Alumni Event
Our school collaborates with the PTSA to Welcome Back Our Alumni. Alumni students and family visit the school, reconnect with friends, and visit with teachers. It is a feel good whimsical experience to share memories and go back in time together. Teachers and administrators take pride in seeing how students have grown and matured.
- No Uniform Days
Once a month on a Friday, students have the opportunity to come dressed in casual clothes. An Annual No Uniform Pass may be purchased on our On-Line Store to participate. This is a fundraiser that is handled by volunteers and coordinated by the PTSA.
MLK-8 PTSA Mission Statement:
- We will enhance our student’s educational environment and learning experiences by enriching their lives through the partnership of school and community. Our goal is to give each student a better future.
MLK-8 PTSA Goals for this school year
- New computers for classroom
- Award Ceremonies/School and Student Events
- Student Achievement Certificates
- Enhance and update our technology equipment
We thank you for your support. Together we will make a BIG DIFFERENCE!
PLEASE CONSIDER BECOMING A MEMBER. 2017 Membership
There are several membership level options. Membership Level Options